Monday, March 13, 2006

1000 pounds of chocolate

Today was our monthly critique group at Borders'Cafe.

I can't stress enough the importance of networking with other authors. I have two writing groups that I belong to, and both are worth their weight in chocolate.

Which, if combined, would be around 1000# of chocolate. That's not such a bad thing--to be worth your weight in chocolate.

Good writers help us see our writing through fresh eyes. They make sure we don't assume the reader understands what's in our head when we tell our stories; they want it in writing! (Show, don't tell).

Good writers offer suggestions to bring more action, create shorter sentences, and remind us of Point of View (POV) and Voice.

But more than providing quality writing suggestions, good writer friends are simply friends. We listen. Share goals. Report on acceptances. And returns--because any writer will tell you that you're not successful until your writing's been rejected. Why? Because rejection means that we tried. No pitches, no queries, then no returns. I could build a house with the returns I've received. But that also means there have been lots of acceptances, too.

Good writing friends tell us they need to read more detail. For example, today they went over next week's column which describes my time in Germany and the magical ambiance of family-friendly Bavarian Biergartens. I attempted to compare American's attempts at supersizing sodas to German biergartens. There is no comparison. The Germans have it. We don't.

So my friend said something about using the word "beer mug." That could create a picture of a huge glass of beer, which then makes the Bavarian scene complete. Right?

Well, her suggestion worked, because a guy with a fresh cup of coffee heard her say "beer mug." He sat next to our table. We laughed.

Now if my readers can pull up a chair, sip a cup of hot coffee, and read my column with that much enthusiasm at the word "Beer garden," then next week's column will be another hit.


So today, eight eyeballs helped me out. Plus a guy drinking coffee listening in.

Definitely worth 1000# of chocolate--don't you think?

No comments: