Sunday, March 12, 2006

Not a car singer? Then skip this.

If you don't sing in the car, skip this.

I traveled up north yesterday along I-5 and I-405. Alone. No music blaring out of my teenager's headsets in stereo behind me. Sometimes I can hear Michael Buble on one side of me; the other--maybe Daniel Powter singing about having a bad day. Both great singers.

But yesterday it was just me.

So for two and a half hours, I listened to whatever I wanted. With my CD player jammed in the magazine, and unable to afford to fix it because I make so much money as a writer, I'm currently stuck with the radio; I'll take Switchfoot any day, and if I'm really lucky, Tony Bennett on the jazz/NPR station.

I love cranking up the music, then turning it down when I head back into the driveway. It's a secret my kids don't know about. It's a way to relive my teen years. Which is about the only part of my teen years I'd wish to relive.

The hardest part about driving and singing are the stop lights. I nod my head with the beat, keep rythmm on the steering wheel, and if the lyrics are really good--and I don't want to stop singing when the guy in the Hummer next to me is watching-- I just look straight ahead and sing. Doesn't bother me anymore, what other drivers at red lights think of me...because I know they do it, too.

So tell me, if we meet at a stoplight, and your lips are moving, what will you be singing?

No comments: