Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Two guys at my door



I heard an early-morning knock today. As soon as the door opened, two neighborhood kids excitedly told me all about the upcoming science fair and a presentation one of them planned on doing today (he was dressed in a jacket, shirt, and tie). His presentation was on a "dead person who used to be alive and was famous."

They didn't care that my make-up wasn't yet on or my house wasn't picked up. But they sure knew they were welcome(I make sure their parents know).

They had just enough time to drink hot chocolate, feed the squirrels on our back porch and ramble on about the upcoming science fair.

What an honor to spend time with children! We are the ones who are lucky, not they. I hope that all of us will take time to drop everything we feel is so important--deadlines, errands, projects due, presentations--and just listen to what a kid has to say. No unsolicited advice. No judging. No all-about-me's. Just listening and caring. Maybe we'll learn something.

Soon they walked out toward the bus. Then they stopped and turned in my direction. "Tomorrow? Eight o'clock?"

"You bet."

Better stock up on hot chocolate.

No comments: